Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Coming Out

I was married for 10 years, and had two kids, and suddenly decided that marriage wasn't right for me.  I, of course did all the blaming, and we went through mediation and the divorce and all the papers and deciding what to do with those two kids.  I got divorced at 33...  I lived the 'divorcee'life for five years, got myself settled, dated - even slept with some men - and then at 38 I emailed a friend "I think I might be gay". Thankfully for me, she responded "Then do something about that!" 


So, I was 38 when I finally realized what "I" was.  Looking back at my life - I spent prom night with a girl friend at her house drinking daiquiris and smoking pot - had such a crush on her, but it never went anywhere - I had actually divorced my husband because I wasn't good at marital sex.  I finally knew I was gay.  I came out...  I found a "new" friend on some dating site and it turned out she went to high school with my sister and was married.  We were in a long term (5 years) relationship that ended abruptly and I was on my own again. 


During my "coming out", my son, who at 16 was comfortable with himself, came out.  He posted on his MySpace page that he was gay.  I commented "I am happy for you and remember... men suck". (HA HA)  We all have our places.  We, my kids and I, have had a terrific relationship - before and since.  Both my kids - the straight daughter and the gay son were in GSA way before any of this happened.  My son, almost reluctantly, had to tell his Dad.  And was very well accepted. 

I have a better relationship with their father than I ever had before, and both kids understand the "divorce" so much better.  Being honest with yourself actually does make life easier.  Being able to finally tell the world that you are who you are is the best thing. My family and friends are very comfy with who I am.  It is very much a relief.

Homophobia is stupid.  Why be afraid of something that is as natural as lactose intolerance.... some people got it, and some don't

No comments:

Post a Comment